CWRV drivers are busy and on the move. It is not always easy or quick to make healthy meals on the road. It is often easier to just grab something, anything and get going, even when you know it may not be good for you. This recipe area is designed for YOU, the busy CWRV driver. CWRV drivers and people from all over have the ability to submit good healthy recipes below. Approved recipes will be posted below and will offer you healthy options you can do yourself.
Healthy Food at Truck Stops:
- Granola and protein bars – there are plenty! Give the label a quick read to find ones that have the fewest ingredients and the lowest amount of sugar.
- Nuts, including walnuts, almonds, and cashews. Go for unsalted and raw if available.
- Canned salmon and tuna – full of protein and healthy fats, and can be used in many different ways as a snack or part of a meal.
- Beef jerky – no, it’s not the healthiest, but it can be a great way to get some protein in a pinch. Get the low-sodium if you can, and try not to have it too often.
- Fresh fruit and veggies, usually pre-cut up – the quality can vary, but they’re almost always available and are worth checking out. The more produce you can get into your diet on the road, the better.
- A big jug of water to keep in the truck!
Submit your own recipe!
Recipe Name: Nuts and Bolts Trail Mix Recipe: 1/2 cup unsalted mixed nuts 2 1/2 cups multigrain toasted oat cereal 1/2 cup dried cherries 1/2 cup M&M's 1 cup mini pretzel twists 1 cup whole-grain cheddar Goldfish crackers Combine nuts, cereal, dried cherries, M&M's,...read more
For one serving you'll need: one 6 ounce can of baby or cocktail shrimp one small green onion two tablespoons of butter two slices of toast Drain the brine from the shrimp then chop up the onion and put some of the greens aside for a garnish. Next, melt the butter in...read more